One of Sacramento County’s best boat launches, Discovery Park is where the American River meets the Sacramento River. This 302-acre park is located in the middle of downtown Sacramento.
Discovery Park is where the American River meets the Sacramento River. One of Sacramento County’s best boat launches, recreational boaters get the chance to explore both of Sacramento’s wild and scenic rivers. Capt. John Sutter’s foreman James Marshall discovered gold along the American River more than a hundred years ago, but what you discover here “an excellent recreation site“ may be even more important to you.
How to Get There:
A 302-acre park, Discovery Park is located beside I-5 in downtown Sacramento. From I-5 take the Richards Blvd. off-ramp then go west to get to the South entrance of the park, or follow the Garden Highway exit east from I-5 to find the North entrance. Signs denote the park’s location from I-5.
- Bicycle riders can enjoy the 32 mile Jedediah Smith Bike Trail.
- Adults and kids can play softball while archers of all experience levels can shoot in the archery range.
- Reserve a picnic area for your next party today!
- Boat ramp and car-top launching can be found on the shores of the American River.
- Anglers enjoy excellent fishing; here they find the best of both rivers!
- Alcohol is prohibited at Discovery Park, except by permit from the Director and with reservation for picnics and special events.